Thursday, October 7, 2010

Recipe Thursday #25: Apple Butter

This recipe is kind of a jumble of a couple different recipes I was given or found last year. I made some lastnight and my house smells divine! I am taking some to my sister's Canadian Thanksgiving meal this weekend and freezing the rest for us to use in a week or so. I think I might have to make a couple batches this year, especially since we are going apple picking later this month. Apple Butter is great on bread, muffins, biscuits, cookies, toast, cornbread, etc. Geeze, I've even been known to eat some with just a spoon! It's soooo delicious!

Before


After

Apple Butter

Ingredients

  • 12 large Granny Smith (or similar) apples
  • 3/4 cup brown sugar
  • 3/4 cup organic sugar (you can use regular white if you desire)
  • 4 tsp ground cinnamon
  • 1 tsp ground cloves
  • 1/2 tsp salt
  • Additional 1/4 cup organic sugar (reserved for end of cooking process)

Directions

  1. Peel and slice apples
  2. In small bowl, combine brown sugar, sugar, cinnamon, cloves, and salt
  3. Add sliced apples to large greased crockpot (mine is a 5 quart size which is perfect for this recipe)
  4. Pour sugar mixture over apples and stir to coat apples evenly
  5. Place lid on crockpot and cook on high 6 hours (I let mine cook all night, but it turns to warm once the 6 hours are done)
  6. Once cooking is done, stir apple butter to break up large lumps
  7. Add reserved organic sugar and stir well
  8. Continue cooking on warm setting with the lid off for an additional 30 minutes
  9. Can or freeze what you won't use over a few days time
** You can add more sugar if you like your apple butter sweeter. I like the organic sugar in this because it adds a slight molasses flavor to the finished product. You can also put it through a blender to make it creamier if you like.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Share This

Related Posts with Thumbnails