I received this recipe from a dear friend and I've only made a few modifications to it (shocker). These are so yummy and super soft! I love to make these for the holidays and just because. This recipe works great for both scooped cookies and cookie cutter cookies. Often when just scooping these cookies, I'll roll them in colored sugar before placing them on the baking sheet. They turn out so pretty!
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1/2 cup shortening
- 1 egg
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 cups flour
- 1/4 tsp cream of tartar
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp vanilla
- In large mixing bowl, combine butter and shortening until creamy.
- Add egg and mix well
- Add sugar and mix until well combined
- Add vanilla and mix well
- In separate bowl combine flour, cream of tartar, baking soda, and baking powder
- Add flour mixture to butter/sugar mixture and mix well
- For cookie cutters, refrigerate dough for approximately 30 minutes, then roll on lightly floured surface until about 1/4 inch thick. Once cut with cookie cutters, place cookies on parchment lined cookie sheets.
- For scooped cookies, use cookie scoop to place cookies on parchment lined cookie sheets
- Bake at 350 degrees 8 minutes or until edges are just golden
- Cook on wire racks before frosting or decorating