Despite being on limited/light duty post major surgery, I am determined to keep up my kitchen goddess status. Ha, who am I kidding? Kitchen goddess is way beyond my repertoire. But, I still had a need - a need to bake! And since my dear mommy's birthday was yesterday, I had an excuse! She requested French Vanilla cake with strawberry frosting. I'd never made either from scratch, so I thought, why not? I did some Googling and found a recipe for the cake that looked good. And wowie, it was good! It was also easy - even better! I do apologize for the lack of a photo - my brain's still a little slow from the hospital.
French Vanilla Cake
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 2 cups white sugar
- 4 eggs, warmed to room temperature
- 2 3/4 cups cake flour (I like Softasilk)
- 2 1/4 tsp baking powder
- 3/4 tsp salt
- 1 cup milk (I used low fat)
- 2 tbsp vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 340 degrees
- Prepare two 9-inch cake pans with butter/flour or cooking spray/parchment paper
- In small bowl, combine flour, baking powder, and salt. Set aside.
- In large mixing bowl, beat butter until light and fluffy (approx 3 minutes)
- Add sugar to butter and beat until creamy (approx 3 more minutes)
- Add eggs, one at a time, mixing well after each
- Add 1 cup of the flour mixture, then half the milk, then one more cup of the flour mixture, then the remaining milk, then the remaining flour mixture , mixing well after each addition
- Add vanilla and mix well
- Pour batter into prepared cake pans and tap to settle
- Bake for 30-35 minutes or until cakes pass the toothpick test
- Cool on wire rack for 10 minutes, then remove cakes from pans and continue to cool on wire racks
- Frost and serve!