Friday, April 1, 2011

Recipe Thursday #34: French Vanilla Cake

Despite being on limited/light duty post major surgery, I am determined to keep up my kitchen goddess status. Ha, who am I kidding? Kitchen goddess is way beyond my repertoire. But, I still had a need - a need to bake! And since my dear mommy's birthday was yesterday, I had an excuse! She requested French Vanilla cake with strawberry frosting. I'd never made either from scratch, so I thought, why not? I did some Googling and found a recipe for the cake that looked good. And wowie, it was good! It was also easy - even better! I do apologize for the lack of a photo - my brain's still a little slow from the hospital.

French Vanilla Cake

Ingredients

  • 1 cup butter, softened
  • 2 cups white sugar
  • 4 eggs, warmed to room temperature
  • 2 3/4 cups cake flour (I like Softasilk)
  • 2 1/4 tsp baking powder
  • 3/4 tsp salt
  • 1 cup milk (I used low fat)
  • 2 tbsp vanilla extract

Directions

  1. Preheat oven to 340 degrees
  2. Prepare two 9-inch cake pans with butter/flour or cooking spray/parchment paper
  3. In small bowl, combine flour, baking powder, and salt. Set aside.
  4. In large mixing bowl, beat butter until light and fluffy (approx 3 minutes)
  5. Add sugar to butter and beat until creamy (approx 3 more minutes)
  6. Add eggs, one at a time, mixing well after each
  7. Add 1 cup of the flour mixture, then half the milk, then one more cup of the flour mixture, then the remaining milk, then the remaining flour mixture , mixing well after each addition
  8. Add vanilla and mix well
  9. Pour batter into prepared cake pans and tap to settle
  10. Bake for 30-35 minutes or until cakes pass the toothpick test
  11. Cool on wire rack for 10 minutes, then remove cakes from pans and continue to cool on wire racks
  12. Frost and serve!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Share This

Related Posts with Thumbnails