Saturday, April 16, 2011

Recipe Thursday #35: Crockpot Chicken

I was feeling rather uninspired to create our meal plan this month. I am tired of the same old stuff, and I am still running low on energy. So I thought I'd try something new. Yes, you are probably wondering why this was new to me. But, well, I have only recently acquired a zest for crock-potting! I threw this in the other morning, and by noon the whole house smelled divine! By evening, we had a wonderfully simple and amazing delicious meal all ready to go. And it took so little energy! Plus, there's a plus here, I have some wonderful chicken stock in my freezer now!

Crockpot Chicken

Ingredients

  • 1 whole (4 pound) chicken (remove innards and neck)
  • 1 12-14 oz. can low sodium chicken broth
  • 1 medium white or yellow onion
  • 2 carrots, peeled and chopped
  • 12 small red or gold potatoes, halved or quartered
  • Salt, pepper, paprika, crushed red pepper, and poultry seasoning to taste (I rarely measure my spices, sorry)
  • 2 bay leaves

Directions

  1. Spray crockpot with nonstick cooking spray
  2. Chop onion into large chunks, and place half of them inside chicken
  3. Place chicken in crockpot, breast side down
  4. Add carrots, potatoes, and remaining onions over chicken
  5. Add chicken broth
  6. Add seasonings and bay leaves
  7. Set crockpot on high for 6 hours, cover, and let cook
  8. Once cooking is complete, remove chicken (carefully as it will fall off the bone) and vegetables to serve
  9. Reserve liquid and strain before storing (if you want to keep the stock for later)


No comments:

Post a Comment

Share This

Related Posts with Thumbnails